When it comes to digital marketing, two things are never in short supply: advertising tools and markers eager to test them out. It may be tempting to try as many options as you can when building your stack. But remember: a good marketing strategy should come before tech adoption.
So what are some working digital marketing strategies for this year? And what type of tools can help you execute those? Here’s our take.
What Are The Digital Marketing Trends for 2022?
Last year marked a conclusive consumer shift to online and omnichannel buying.
The e-commerce sector grew at break-neck speed, rounding up at $4.8 trillion in sales globally. Online services markets followed suit with demand for online deliveries, content subscription services, and software products being universally high.
And where consumers go — advertising budgets follow.
Businesses doubled down on online ads. In the US, the digital advertising market grew by 25% last year. Video ads, in particular, saw a hike in demand, followed by in-app ads.
But such an influx of ad buyers ramped up the competition. Ad inventory prices across platforms are up. For example, the average cost per click on Amazon is $1.20 — up by 50% year-over-year. Social media and search ads got a similar bump in price.
With upcoming changes to customer data collection and usage, that Apple and Google have in the works, the cost-to-effectiveness ratio of digital ads will further decline.
So where should high-growth companies direct their advertising budgets?
After analyzing emerging market trends, we’ve rounded up the following list of alternative digital marketing strategies for 2022:
- Brand marketing. Shoppers are seeking out direct-to-consumer (DTC) to replace generic store brands and multi-retailer shopping. Gen Z and Millennial consumers want brands that make them feel part of something bigger and unite them around common causes or beliefs. Brand marketing helps cultivate a preference for your products among the most promising targets.
- Live streaming. From online shopping sessions to educational training, live streaming gained strong momentum in 2021. The trend for jumping on a stream will continue this year too with consumers wanting to see more branded video content from businesses they like. So get your gear out and pick your platform for streaming. Instagram, TikTok, Twitch, and YouTube offer out-of-the-box live streaming features.
- Video marketing. Video, in general, remains a growing marketing medium. Consumption is up across the board. Over 77% of visitors of any given website watched 1-2 videos during their session. Similarly, video viewership is significantly up across social media platforms.
- Customer experience (CX). Big brands like Amazon got reluctant consumers hooked on online shopping. But as they are venturing out to explore other retailers, many expect the same level of speed, convenience, and efficiency. And elevating your CX pays off. Consumers who had a great experience in the past spend more than those who had a poor one.
Ultimately, companies today have to market across a multitude of touchpoints to connect and convert their targets. And you can’t be omnipresent and omni-effective without some good advertising tools in your stack!
12 Digital Advertising Tools To Elevate Your Marketing in 2022
To succeed in the current competitive space, you need advertising tools that help you collect and translate all sorts of data into impactful marketing insights. Then turn those insights into creative and impactful digital advertising campaigns.
Below is a collection of effective, affordable, and easy-to-install ad tools startups that deliver just that:
If you want to fix a leaky sales funnel, add Hotjar to your marketing mix. Hotjar helps you record and analyze on-site user-browsing patterns to locate weak spots in your website UX. If you can’t figure out why your shopping cart abandonment rates are so high or landing page conversions are so low, this tool will provide data-backed answers.
- User session recordings
- Live surveys
- Feedback capture forms
Main competitive point: Replace UX guesswork with first-hand customer data.
Hotjar helps you understand web users better. Latana takes it a notch further and helps you figure out what different targets — prospects, leads, or current buyers — think about your brand. The company uses mobile surveys and AI analytics to supply you with consumer insights from 100+ countries.
- Advanced audience segmentation
- Brand perception tracking
- Competitor tracking
Main competitive point: Find out your ideal target personas and learn what they think about your products.
Marketing a mobile product? Then try out Emma — a swiss-army-knife of an app marketing platform. It provides you with the data and analytics you need at every stage of your sales funnel — from user acquisition to retention and remarketing. Think of it as Google Analytics, but with full marketing attribution data available.
- User-acquisition attribution
- Audience behavior analytics
- Anti-mobile ad fraud detection
- In-app marketing tools
Main competitive point: Robust app marketing platform without the overwhelm factor.
Those looking to dive into content marketing this year should strongly consider Clearscope. Part keyword research app, part on-page SEO optimization tool, Clearvoice helps you understand what type of content you need to create for different user queries. Then ensure that you are optimizing it for a shot in top-10 search engine results.
- Keyword discovery tool
- Competition research
- Shareable content optimization app
Main competitive point: Streamlined production of content that ranks well and converts customers.
Vidyard is a product to try if you plan to add more video to your marketing mix. The app doubles as a video creation and hosting platform. This means you can use it to make, store, and distribute video marketing content across platforms. That’s the easy part because Vidyard integrates with a bunch of other marketing tools and content distribution platforms.
- Easy video recording
- Powerful video analytics
- Video personalization tools
- Online video hosting and embedded players
Main competitive point: Video production, management, and analytics in one place.
If influencer marketing is your priority for 2022, #paid is the best advertising tool for collaborating with online creators. A match-making platform slash virtual collaboration space, #paid connects you with hundreds of verified creators and provides you with tools to conceive, plan, execute, and track joint campaigns.
- Auto-matching with relevant creators
- Campaign planning and tracking tools
- Convenient campaign scheduling and approvals
- Comprehensive analytics on ROAS
Main competitive point: Streamlined partnerships with content creators of every size and industry.
Test if your new marketing copy lands with the targets in several taps. Wynter helps B2B brands schedule split tests of their messaging with relevant, live audiences. If you ever found yourself in a creative dispute over a marketing campaign, you can let your targets vote on what works best for them using this app.
- Message and value proposition tests
- B2B buyer survey tools
- Cold email split tests
- B2B user testing
Main competitive point: Blazing-fast A/B testing of creative ideas, done by real humans.
- Google Data Studio
Google has a ton of great marketing tools, but one arguably gets overlooked time and again. That’s Google Data Studio — a free data reporting tool. You can plug your marketing data from some 800+ sources using a premade connector. Then decipher it using convenient dashboards and custom reports, generated with a click of a button.
- Pre-made data connectors
- Attractive visualizations and reports
- Easy sharing and collaboration
Main competitive point: Simple, customizable, marketing reports, created without any hassle.
Promo helps you keep your social media calendar full of dazzling marketing videos without keeping a videographer on a retainer. Using pre-made templates and convenient photo/video editing tools, your team can produce a bunch of video marketing collateral — from GIFs to TikToks — in record time.
- Online video maker
- Image and video editing tools
- Social media publishing calendar
- Pre-made templates for popular video formats
Main competitive point: Beautiful marketing videos, done in minutes.
If you are on a budget and can afford just one tool to power your online marketing, it should be Converkit. Why? Because for an affordable monthly fee you get to access the best email marketing tool out there. Plus, a bunch of extras such as a landing page design app, on-site email forms, and potent automation tools for your sales funnel.
- Attractive landing pages builder
- Optimized email forms
- Mighty email marketing suite
- Email marketing automation tools
Main competitive point: A collection of tools to build a high-converting online sales funnel.
Quuu serves a double purpose. The app pitches you relevant industry content to curate on your social media. Plus, it displays your content for other creators to share. So if you want to amplify your reach and connect with some new industry voices, Quuu is a tool to try out.
- Content discovery, based on interest
- Automatic distribution via scheduling apps
- Paid content amplification via influencers
Main competitive point: Organic and paid content distribution to the right targets.
Went overboard with marketing analytics? Databox helps you pull together all your data sources into one workspace to track your metrics without switching tabs. Instead of countless logins (and lost credentials), your team can securely access every important data nugget from a single dashboard.
- Over 70 pre-made integrations with popular marketing tools
- Custom reports and premade dashboard templates
- Global and granular metrics tracking
- KPI setup and alerting
Main competitive point: House all your marketing data under one roof.
Digital advertising tools are far and aplenty. So picking an app for this and that is easier than ever. But so does getting a bunch of gimmicks that sometimes help, but oftentimes hinder your marketing efforts.
Haphazard tech adoption can get your marketing folks overwhelmed or overly focused on marginal metrics (like improving email open rate), rather than comprehensive goals (such as driving X% more sales from email marketing).
So before you go on a buying spree always ask yourself these three questions:
- What type of marketing data or capabilities are we missing?
- Will this tool provide all the features we need?
- How well does it integrate with other tools in our stack?
Getting the above answers is essential for selecting an advertising tool that drives value for your business!